“Quince jam” a traditional Albanian sweet, how to prepare it
"Quince jam" a traditional Albanian sweet, how to prepare it
Quince jam is a traditional Albanian sweet specialty and very easy to make. This jam is natural, just simply quinces, sugar, and a little lemon juice. It’s a light jam, and perfect to start your mornings.
To prepare your home-made quince jam, you would need these ingredients.
3 lbs of quinces, to make 6 cups quince juice, 4 cups granulated sugar, 1 orange zest, 1 orange, juice of orange, 1 lemon zest, 1 lemon, juice of lemon, 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1⁄4 teaspoon clove.
To make the quince juice:
- Clean the quince, peeling and removing the seeds.
- Cut the quince into small pieces and put into a bowl of water as you are cleaning and cutting the remaining fruit. Quince will turn dark if not covered with water.
- Bring to a boil and stir. Reduce heat to a low simmer, cover and simmer for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- In a preserving pan, combine the 6 cups quince juice, juice and zest of the orange and the lemon, spices, & sugar.
- Bring to a boil and continue cooking on medium-high heat for about 20 minutes, stirring gently.
- Check the set – it may take up to 40 minutes of simmering over medium high heat for the jelly/jam to reach the set.
- Once the set point is reached, put the jam into jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace, place flat lids and rings on and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.